HBs+HBc positive, when?

Thank you for the effort and time to inform us. You are great. I had blood test for Hep b+c , 6 weeks after possible risk encounter. The results were negative for C, but for B the results were + for Anti HBs and HBc and negative for the 'e'.

a)Is it possible that I got the virus 45 days ago and managed to 'combat' it that fast , or was it an earlier infection, which BTW I had never the knowledge of and nor did I ever get sick.

b)I was told by the doctor that I am not contagious to others and I do not have any more the virus. Is this true? Can I give it to my wife or my future kids?

c)Should I get my liver checked for possible damage?

d) Am I considered a carrier of the virus?

e) Can I donate blood to the blood bank? If not , why since I am clean?

Please answer because this news has devastated my life and I am starting to loose my sleep and peace of mind.

Thank you once more for your help.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

First you still can have Hep.C infection as the HCV antibody can be detected up to one year after exposure. If your exposure was a sexual contact the risk is very low. I recommend you to have another HCV antibody test in six months. If you have Hep.B surface antibody positive this means you have already immunity against the HBV and you are not infectious.

Your specific questions: A.Most probably you had an earlier infection and managed to clear the virus as around 97% of all infected patients do.Acute infection was most likely not identified. B.No, you are not contagious to your wife or kids. C.Your only concern is to be sure you don't have HCV infection. D. you are not a carrier.You cleared the virus. Carriers are patients that have Hep.B surface antigen positive and never develop HB surface antibody. E.Yes, you can donate blood after you are sure you are Hep.C antibody negative.

You should not be unduly worried about this. You are OK for Hep.B and the odds are in your favor for Hep. C.

hiv status
hiv &hep