Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

long term hep-c
Aug 14, 2004

My situation is this; I am a 43 yer old male and was likely exposed to hep-c app. 25 years ago (massive transfusions)and the virus wasn't discovered until last year during a routine physical. My viral load is low (90k to 130k)activity in my liver is low but the sirrosus is a very high level 4. I've taken 6mo of peg-interferon and riboviron with no impact. Are thier any new lines of treatment for non-responders? Also as I"m wondering in any study has been done on hormone levels (testosterone) and the immunity system fighting hep-c? thanks, Terry

Response from Dr. McGovern

There will be better treatments for hepatitis C in the future but probably about 3-5 years away.

I would discuss with your doctor as to whether he or she thinks you should consider "maintenance" therapy with low dose of interferon. This is not a proven therapy yet, but there is a large NIH sponsored trial going on right now in patients with cirrhosis to see if long term low dose interferon is helpful in keeping the liver healthy.

I would not drink any alcohol. I would also get immunized for hepatitis A and B. Dr. McGovern

Previous
confusing reports
Next
Hepatitis B

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.