long term hep-c

My situation is this; I am a 43 yer old male and was likely exposed to hep-c app. 25 years ago (massive transfusions)and the virus wasn't discovered until last year during a routine physical. My viral load is low (90k to 130k)activity in my liver is low but the sirrosus is a very high level 4. I've taken 6mo of peg-interferon and riboviron with no impact. Are thier any new lines of treatment for non-responders? Also as I"m wondering in any study has been done on hormone levels (testosterone) and the immunity system fighting hep-c? thanks, Terry

There will be better treatments for hepatitis C in the future but probably about 3-5 years away.

I would discuss with your doctor as to whether he or she thinks you should consider "maintenance" therapy with low dose of interferon. This is not a proven therapy yet, but there is a large NIH sponsored trial going on right now in patients with cirrhosis to see if long term low dose interferon is helpful in keeping the liver healthy.

I would not drink any alcohol. I would also get immunized for hepatitis A and B. Dr. McGovern

confusing reports
Hepatitis B