|HCV, is it true??
Aug 14, 2004
Dear Dr. I've heard that people that have HCV are not always contagious because the virus has to be active, or at least at a certain level. Is there any truth to that at all? I'm going to get tested for HCV after an exposure 6 months ago. If I were to catch it now, isn't there a fairly good chance for being cured of HCV?? Thanks for your help!! DD
| Response from Dr. McGovern
About 80 percent of people with hepatitis C antibodies also have virus in their blood which makes their blood contagious. The other 20 percent cleared their infection.
There are good treatments available now for hepatitis C including pegylated interferons and ribavirin. Whether you need treatment or not is uncertain.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms After Having Sex During Period Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Ejaculation After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Swallowing Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Swallowing Sperm Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Tingling Lips After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.