NEWBORNS TESTS FOR HCV

Dear Experts, My wife has tested pos for the anti body test once and neg several times for the other tests. Our newborn, at our request, was tested for HCV. It came back pos. I know the mothers anti bodys can falsify the results so the next test was administered i assume with the same blood. The results were inconclusive. This worries us very much. Can you illaberate on the possibilities and seriousness of these results. Please!

I would stay very calm.

Hepatitis C antibodies can pass to your newborn and not reflect infection at all. A helpful test will be Hepatitis C RNA which will test for virus itself.Alternatively, you can wait until about 18 months for testing of your newborn for hepatitis C antibody.

Even if your baby got hepatitis C, many babies clear the infection on their own.

Finally, the chance of your baby getting hepatitis C is only about 5 percent.

Dr. McGovern

Hep B "resolved"
can the hpB vaccine couse a positive reading