will HCV affect HIV seroconversion?

Thank you very much for a very informative website. It has given a lot of answers but few remain unclear for me.

I had unprotected oral sex with a sex worker in China in March 2004. I have been tested for STDs incl. HIV antibodies (ELISA)at 7, 12 and 15 weeks after exposure. All tests came back negative. However I had Chlamydia Pneumoniae and got antibiotics for it. I have not been tested for hepatitis but have been vaccinated against A and B 2001.

My questions are: 1. Should I get tested for HCV? 2. Can I trust my HIV negative tests or is it possible the my antibiotic against Chlamydia Pneumoniae or possible HCV co-infection would have affected my seroconversion? 3. Are there cases where HIV negative test after 3 months has turned into positive later (single exposure)?

Please help me. I am 30 years old and used be fit. I am married and my wife is pregnant and I should get back to my normal life and be able to support her. Thank you in advance.

Still worried

I would not get tested for hepatitis C based on the exposure which you describe.

Although you were diagnosed with Chlamydia, that result will not interfere with HIV testing results.

It is possible to have a negative HIV antibody test become positive after three months, but your exposure was so low risk, that I would be confident in your 3 month result.

Your wife should be tested for Chlamydia if you had intercourse with her at the time of your infection. It is also possible that she already had routine testing for Chlamydia with her prenatal care. I agree that you should get back to your "normal life" and be supportive to your wife who will need your help even more as time goes on in her pregnancy. I hope this information is helpful to you. Dr. McGovern

Hepatitics C
Law enforcement risks