Test results

Dear Sir,

I recently did a test for ANTI CMV IgG (I). The value was positive, what does this mean? Does it mean I have herpes? Is this because any prior vaccines for chicken pox, influenza. Did I overcome the virus. The code for the test is CMIG. I have already done the tests for hep a,b and c. All negative. Hiv is negative. What is sedimentation? The value is 21H.

Thankyou

yours sincerely

Ind

These tests were probably all ordered for the diagnosis of hepatitis - or increased liver function tests. Sometimes viruses can cause this but there are many different possible causes of hepatitis (inflammation of the liver) including even over the counter medications or herbs.

CMV stands for cytomegalovirus and this virus can on occasion cause a mild hepatitis. It is a very common virus and most people get CMV when they are children. Your result just indicates that you had this infection in the past like millions of other people.

Sedimenation rates can be increased in infection and other illnesses. Your sedimentation rate is only marginally increased and not at all concerning to me.

If your liver function tests remain abnormal, you will need further evaluation with a hepatologist. Dr. McGovern

Gastroscopy before a liver biopsy
undetectible viral load with decreasing t cells