Yellow & Bilirubin???

Dear Dr.McGovern, I picked up my lab's today and my Bilirubin was high at 8.2 (ref.range 0.0-1.2). Are there any treatments for this? Rx or OTC? I am VERY yellow and hate the way I look! All my other labs are good, and my meds are Epivir,Reyataz,Norvir,Videx, Viread,Rebetol,& Peg-Intron. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU, RR

When bilirubin is higher than 3.0 patients can appear yellow - also called jaundice.

It is vitally important that you contact your physician right away. There are many potential causes for your jaundice. If you feel well, then my first guess is that your Reyataz has caused your jaundice. This will quickly go away when the medication is stopped.

My other concern is regarding the combination of Videx and Rebetol. Rebetol can increase your Videx levels and I usually like to avoid that combination if at all possible. Your physician may have certain reasons for using it however, so speak to him or her.

I would also double check your dosing of Videx - it should be only 250 mg a day if dosed in combination with Viread.

Many HIV medications can also cause hepatitis so it is quite important to be seen by your physician. I also don't know the extent of your underlying hepatitis C disease which could be extremely important.

Best wishes to you, Dr. McGovern

Please Help
Interpratation with both hbsag and hbsab positive