Cholesterl and the liver

Dear Dr. McGovern,

I understand that the cholesterol is mostly produced by the liver. But do cholesterol level represent how well the liver is? For example, when the liver is having a problem, it will produce more cholesterol? Please help me understand. Thank you.

You are absolutely correct that the liver helps to synthesize cholesterol. However, the amount of cholesterol that is produced is a very complex process and controlled by multiple factors including genetics. In matter of fact, when the liver is very unhealthy, cholesterol levels tend to decline. However, it should be emphasized that the level of cholesterol in your body is not used by doctors to determine how healthy or unhealthy your liver is. Dr. McGovern

Herpes outbreak at the time of drawing blood. Please answer.
Please Help