|Hepatitis B - frustrated, please help
Jul 25, 2004
I had 3 normal hepatic function tests last year, undetectable HBV DNA by PCR, HBeAG negative and HBeAB positive in mid Jan 2004. The latest hepatic function test with AFP and ultrasound in mid May 2004 was still normal. My questions are:
1. Do I need to repeat the HBV DNA, HBeAG and HBeAB by the end of this year?
2. Do I have a chance to clear the HBsAG since I think I got infected in childhood?
3. In case my HBV DNA becomes detectable. Will it be easy to treat in my case (infected in childhood) and how long it will take to progress to end stage disease?
4. Are there any other ways to protect my liver besides avoiding alcohol, diet and exercise? 5. For the abdominal pain symptom. Is it all over the liver area with constant pain or spot pain?
Please help me. Worry.
Response from Dr. McGovern
It is great news that your hepatitis B E antibody is positive. This indicates that you are doing well. It is also great news that your liver function tests are normal and your AFP and ultrasound are normal. Your panel of tests indicate that you are a carrier of hepatitis B but are an "inactive carrier".
It is recommended that even though your hepatitis B is "inactive" you should still have liver function tests every 6 to 12 months. If they become abnormal, then you can pursue further testing, such as HBV DNA tests.
Your prognosis is excellent. Just keep up the monitoring with your physician who is obviously looking after you quite well. From time to time, you can get testing for hepatitis B surface antigen to see if you have completely resolved your infection, although this does not occur commonly.
I would also get vaccinated for hepatitis A if your blood tests show no prior exposure.
HELP ME WITH THIS
Please, Please, Please help me understand BIopsy results!!!
- Runny Nose After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Can I Get Hepatitis C From A Bite Wound?
- Irritation On Penis Tip After Sex Syphilis Sti
- Is Vaginal Thrush Contagious?
- Why It Still Burn After I Have Been Treated For An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.