Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B test results confusing
Jul 25, 2004

I am recovering from Hepatitis B. I was very ill in November and became jauntice. Illness was diagnosed, there was no treatment. I have been seeing a gastroenterologiest. The results of my test are as follows: Surface Ag = Negative Antigen Surface AB= Positive Antibod >10 MIU/ml protective Core AB= Positive Antibod

HB DNA ONT PCR (pg/ml) <0.001 HB DNA ONT PCR log (cpy/mL) <2.3 less than 200 copies/ML HB e antigen = Neg HBe AB = Pos

He still wants me coming back for more test in a month. What I read shows I've resolved this infection. Am I chronic? Thanks, Keith

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your physician is being cautious and I agree with his approach. However, your labs are extremely reassuring that you are indeed clearing the virus and that you are resolving the infection. Although you were quite sick, the patients with jaundice from hepatitis B almost always resolve their infection.

If your serologies are negative for hepatitis A, I would ask for immunization.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Tattoos long ago
Next
help me please!thanks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.