The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jul 25, 2004

I have had elevated liver enzymes for 4 years and recently had a liver biopsy that states " mildly active chronic hepatitis, resembling hepatitis c. Peri-portal and septal fibrosis ISHAK 3. Tri-chrome stain confirmatory. My blood test states non-reactive. I dont get it. My gastro says biopsy is correct. I have hep c stage 3 . She is referring me out. Can you tell me what I am facing in treatment options?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am assuming that your hepatitis C antibody test is negative.

However, in the setting of HIV infection, sometimes (5 per cent of the time) the hepatitis C antibody test can be negative, especially if the T cell count is low. It may be reasonable to check for hepatitis C virus in your blood.

Other considerations: 1. I assume that you have been checked for hepatitis B.2.I would hold on drinking alcohol if that has been an issue for you until you speak to a liver specialist. 3. I would ask your liver specialist if the liver biopsy results could be consistent with NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) and if you have any risk factors for that (obesity, diabetes, high triglycerides). 4. I would review all your medications, including over the counter medications, with your liver specialist.

Your treatment options will clearly depend on what is causing your liver disease. This will be discussed by your specialist. Good luck. Dr. McGovern

Cleared HepB, damage to my liver?
Hep B shots again

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint