Diagnosed?

I have had elevated liver enzymes for 4 years and recently had a liver biopsy that states " mildly active chronic hepatitis, resembling hepatitis c. Peri-portal and septal fibrosis ISHAK 3. Tri-chrome stain confirmatory. My blood test states non-reactive. I dont get it. My gastro says biopsy is correct. I have hep c stage 3 . She is referring me out. Can you tell me what I am facing in treatment options?

I am assuming that your hepatitis C antibody test is negative.

However, in the setting of HIV infection, sometimes (5 per cent of the time) the hepatitis C antibody test can be negative, especially if the T cell count is low. It may be reasonable to check for hepatitis C virus in your blood.

Other considerations: 1. I assume that you have been checked for hepatitis B.2.I would hold on drinking alcohol if that has been an issue for you until you speak to a liver specialist. 3. I would ask your liver specialist if the liver biopsy results could be consistent with NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) and if you have any risk factors for that (obesity, diabetes, high triglycerides). 4. I would review all your medications, including over the counter medications, with your liver specialist.

Your treatment options will clearly depend on what is causing your liver disease. This will be discussed by your specialist. Good luck. Dr. McGovern

Cleared HepB, damage to my liver?
Hep B shots again