Vaccine and Titer

I am a healthcare worker and have had two series of the Hepitis vaccine as my titer showed no immunity. My second titer results are now back and it is at a "2". No third series is being offered. What should I do now?

I would do nothing right now. Your physician was correct in offering a second series. Some people just don't respond with high titers. However, in the case of a needlestick exposure to hepatitis B in the future, you should be seen in employee health to get hepatitis B immunoglobulin if the source patient has hepatitis B viremia. This is quite an effective therapy. Also you can receive another dose of hepatitis B vaccine at that time since it may boost your immunity further although this is uncertain in light of your prior non-response. Since you are a health care worker, you can effectively prevent infection since you will know when the exposure has occurred.

Dr. McGovern

OPTIMISTIC...BUT??
Cleared HepB, damage to my liver?