For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Hep A, B & C

Dear Dr. McGovern,

I was vaccinated for Hep B in 1996 and Hep A in 2004. My recent blood test shows:

Hep A IgG: posivite Hep B Sur Ab: Negative Anti-Hep C Ab: Negative

What do they mean? What should I do? Do I neet to vaccinate?

Please advise

Your antibody test for hepatitis A suggests that you are protected.

Your surface antibody test for hepatitis B does not show protection. I would go back to your medical records to be certain that you got all three hepatitis B immunizations. If so, I would speak with your physician about restarting the immunizations series and checking hepatitis B surface antibody after two doses to see if you boosted your antibody levels to a detectable level. You are certainly not alone. Many people do not reach detectable antibodies after hepatitis B vaccination.

Dr. McGovern

cirrhosis and interferon
HBV environmental infection: key questions