Please Help!! Just found out I have Cirrhosis and I am devestated!!

Dear Dr. Dieterich, I am so distraught. I just found out I have Cirrhosis of the liver. I believe I got it from Hepatitis B. My last blood results were.... Hep B surface AG-negative Heb B core AB Total-Positive Heb B core AB IGM-Positive Heb B Surface AB- <1 negative HBVDNA- non detectable Hep Be AG-Negative Hep BE AB- Positive AFP-2.6 My ultra sound showed gall stones and a fatty liver. I had my gallstones removed on July 13 which is when they also did an biopsy of my liver. The doctor told me that by looking it looks like cirrhosis. Havent got results back to know more then that. All my LFTs were normal exept that my AST was 57 and my ALT was 56. But everything else is normal. How could I have Cirrhosis and still feel good and my liver still is functioning normal and my DNA is non detectable? I am so scared. Can you live a long time with Cirrhosis? and do you think my prospect of getting a transplant is good? I have been really depressed and feel lost since I found out. I am a single mom and am so scared for myself and for my kids not having a mom. Please answer my questions asap. I thank you so much. Your site is so helpful. Thanks again!!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

That is surprising, however not that surprising. You can live a long time with cirrhosis and liver transplant is always possible, but not always necessary. You should also ask your MD to make sure the DNA is done by PCR and that HCV RNA is also done by PCR. Don't drink alchohol and get the other tests and you should have a long life. Treatment will depend on the results of those tests. You should also see a liver person about the other causes of liver disease besides viruses. Good luck! DTD

Ammonia Levels
Divergent subtypes