Ammonia Levels

What is considered the allowable amount of ammonia for one to have in the blood stream? I have seen 12 to 32 and 15 to 40 and would like to know. Also what would be an amount to become worried over? Thanks.

Ammonia levels are not helpful as one time levels and cannot be compared from lab to lab. They are only helpful to follow in an individidual patient over time to see if they are trending up or trending down. The absolute number itself is actually not helpful. We usually only use them in patients with cirrhosis which has deteriorated (decompensated).

Dr. McGovern

hiv
Please Help!! Just found out I have Cirrhosis and I am devestated!!