Would Celexa interfere with HIV antibody ELISA test result.

Dr. McGovern, I got tested for HIV like ten days ago after eight months of exposure(EIA Elisa Antibody test). the result came out to be negative. But i am still worried, the reason being is that i was on antidepressant medication(celexa 20mg/day) for the past two years. My question is do u think that the use of the medication might have affected the test result by producing a false negative or could the use of this medication might have inhibited the production of the antibodies(by not producing the antibodies) or affected the window period or the seroconversion time. If it did then do i need any other tests like directly checking for the virus itself(PCR or cd4/cd8 etc). Please advice going paranoid, ur answer will help me a lot. Is there an definite way to rule out HIV in my case. I m ready to get any test done. Date of exposure Oct 4th 2003. Date when i got tested Jun 20th 2004. Date from when i was on celexa Feb 2002.

If the exposure you were worried about occurred in October, then your antibody test should have been positive by June.

I would not seek further testing at this point in time. As far as Celexa goes, this should not interfere with HIV testing.

My advice for the future, is to always have safe sex so you do not experience this type of anxiety again which can be so difficult, especially when waiting for results of HIV testing.

Dr. McGovern

HCV? Please help
HEP B Carrie Question - Please help