HCV? Please help

Dear M.D McGovern

I am concerned that I might be infected with HCV. I went for a PEP treatment to prevent HIV after a possible exposure from a HIV positive man. He told me he was HIV positive but HCV negative. He used a large plastic syringe to push up fluid into my rectum(blood system) When I asked about the syringe he said he had washed it before use. Now I have heard that Hep C virus can survive outside the body for several days so he might have used it on someone else some days before me. He did not however use it on himself. At the end of the PEP pogram I saw my doctor again, and she told me that some of my liver levels were mildly elevated. Normal was under 40 and mine was 50. She told me it might be the medication. I tested HIV neg and HCV neg the same day I started the PEP treatment so it would not be valuable for this latest exposure. My question is: Does it make sense that I would have mildly elevated levels from the medication? I had taken PEP one time before without any problems like this. Also do you think I should be concerned about HCV after my exposure from the syringe (no needle)and with the 50 in levels. I appreciate any response Hope you can help

Worried

I would certainly agree with your physician that the very mild elevation in liver function tests could be due to your medications. Just because you didn't have elevations before, doesn't mean that this would not happen at this point in time. Also, remember that these liver function tests are very minimally elevated. You should have them repeated after you finish your medications.

I think the risk of hepatitis C from the risk as you describe it is minimal to none.

Dr. McGovern Dr. McGovern

HepB and pains
Would Celexa interfere with HIV antibody ELISA test result.