The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is Hep C the worst form of Hepatitis?
Jul 8, 2004

Dear barbara, last year i was cleared of Hep. C, genotype 3 (a,b,c,d,e i don't know). Looking into it I cannot understand how i could have contracted it. I am HIV positive and never shot up with needles. I did eat suchi at times. I was diagnosed with it in Dec. 2002; it cleared in Jan. 2003 but had to stay on meds till severe colitis kicked in, for which i was hospitalized 6 times in 2003. I have not had sex for over 15 yrs. before i was found to have Hep. c. My questions are: Could Hep. C be latent and show up on blood tests many yrs. after the last sexcapapde? Could my severe colitis be related to my having to take interferon & ribavirin? Is Hep. C the worst form of Hepatitis we know so far?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Both Hepatitis B and hepatitis C can cause chronic liver disease. However, hepatitis C infection usually causes chronic disease in about 75-85 percent of patients. Hepatitis B usually resolves and only becomes chronic in the minority of people. Hepatitis A can cause people to feel quite ill but usually does not cause severe disease and never goes on to be chronic. It is possible that you acquired your hepatitis C many, many years ago. The blood test for hepatitis C has only been available for about 14 years.

It is good news that you have cleared your hepatitis C with treatment. Rarely can treatment cause colitis. It is called "ischemic colitis" and I would not think it is the cause of your recurrent problem.

Dr. McGovern

Is treating HEP C early worth it?
General HBV questions

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint