HEP B TEST

Dear Dr. Dieterich: I was diagnosed with Hep B in September of 2003. My last lab results were done in May. Hepatitis A Antibody Igm HAVAB-iGM NEGATIVE

HEP B SURFACE ANTIGEN HBsAg POSITIVE

HEP B CORE ANTIBODY ANTI-HBc POSITIVE

HBsAg (NEUTRALIZATION POSITIVE

HEP B SURFACE ANTIBODY ANTI-HBs POSITIVE

HEPATITIS Be ANTIGEN HBeAG negative

HEPATITIS Be ANTIBODY ANTI-HBe POSITIVE

MY hepatitis B VIRUS dna ultraquant 111 pg/ml.

My first dna reading was in September 2003. My DNA was 4.89 two weeks later it was 8.26. In February 2004 it went down to 3.27. My Liver specialist said I was on the road to recovery. When I saw him in May, he said he was concerned and he is sending me to a Hepatologist. He has never seen HBsAG NEUTRALIZATION and Hep. B SURFACE ANTIBODY BOTH POSITIVE

I'm really concerned and scary of the unknown.

Can you please tell me more about my results.

Thanking you in advance.

JMM

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is hepatitis B which sounds chronic. You need a HBV DNA by PCR and to see a hepatologist. You need treatment with either lamivudine, adefovir or both. A liver biopsy would also hep stage your disease. It is easy to treat not so easy to stop treatment. However the side effects are very benign. Good luck! DTD

Viral count
Is treating HEP C early worth it?