Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shorter Duration TX?
Jun 21, 2004

I'm a 52-yr-old male with genotype 3a. I have been on Pegasys and Rebetol for 20 weeks now. Biopsy showed no fibrosis and moderate inflammation. ALT dropped within normal range within 2 weeks and 12th week pcr read: "not detected <6,000 IU/mL". I have read of studies underway that are geared to see if genotypes 2 and 3 can achieve SVR with only 16 weeks of treatment. I'm wondering if I could just stop now....since I've already done 20 weeks. My doctor works for the VA, so she can't be flexible about this....but I can. What do you think? My side effects are worsening although blood counts are "low-normal".

(HCV-Vet)

Response from Dr. McGovern

You are so close to finishing treatment, I would choose to continue with careful monitoring by your physician since you say that you are having more adverse effects/low normal blood counts. I say that since we don't have enough data yet to know for sure that a shorter course of therapy will definitely work yet.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Hep C Viral Load???
Next
HIV/HEPC

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.