Hep C Viral Load???

Dear Doctor,

I just recieved copies of my hep C Viral load and it was 26,800,000 is that VERY high?

I have tried the Peg-Intron, but only made it three months. Is this number cause for concern?? HIV vl & Cd4 are good.(genotype 2on Hepc)

My Dr. Has mentioned trying

hep C treatment again, but I am NOT ready, it put me DOWN the last time I was on it. Can I afford to wait???

Is there a guidline for hep C

viral load, like there is with the HIV,(CD4 and VL)???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

RR

Your questions are very good. 1. Yes, your hepatitis C level is very high. However there is no correlation between how high your hepatitis C level is and the amount of damage there is in your liver. 2. It might be helpful to pursue a liver biopsy since you found the treatment to be difficult. It is possible that you have minimal disease so that would be reassuring in terms of waiting. 3. You have an easy to treat genotype so that is in your favor. You could try treatment again for 12 weeks and check a viral load. If the result is not encouraging, you could stop. 4. I would see a psychiatrist prior to starting treatment again since prior treatment with an antidepressant may be extremely helpful to you in terms of getting through the therapy.

Dr. McGovern

Hep c transmission questions
Shorter Duration TX?