Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

when can I start meds.??
Jun 21, 2004

I was just diagnosed with Hep.B,it was not active at first ...but the recent tests showed it is active now ...the viruse DNA is found in my blood tests ..the first step was doing a biopcy , the results came back with inflemation in the lever but NO scerroses.The doctors said : "we can't give you any meds now till we see a clear damage in the lever!!" I understood that whenever the viruse's DNA is exist, that means meds are the next stage ....what should I do ?? what do you do for my case? I have an active Hep.B viruse ...should I do nothing till the damage is done!??!!!! should I seek another doctor's help ... please answer me back ...I'm waiting for your responce... thanx MAX.

Response from Dr. McGovern

You are correct that the finding of Hepatitis B virus in the blood is a reason to pursue a liver biopsy and that is exactly what your doctor did. It is good news that your biopsy does not show cirrhosis. However, it is difficult for me to say if you still need treatment since there are various degrees of irritation and scarring which may still be present in the liver.

I would speak with your physician again about why he/she has decided not to treat you so they can explain more fully regarding the decision they have made. It is possible, since in the past you did not have detectable virus, that perhaps your hepatitis B has been inactive for a long time prior to this.

In the meantime, I would keep your alcohol intake down to a minimum until you get more information. I would also ask your physician as to whether you need hepatitis A vaccination.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
I AM SCARED TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!! PLS HELPPP ME
Next
Hep c transmission questions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.