The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can Hep C be gotten thru taking reputable blood labs monitoring my HIV stuff?
Jun 21, 2004

"Finally, sexual transmission of hepatitis C can occur although it is not common. Safe sex would mean use of barrier protection, like a condom. You can't get hepatitis C from kissing. However, you should avoid sharing razors or toothbrushes that might have had blood on them from a person who has hepatitis C. I hope this is helpful. Dr. McGovern

Thanks for the above answer. I never shot up drugs in my life nor did i get a transfusion before my Hep. C diagnosis. You say it is uncommon thru sex. I was diagnosed with Hep C, genotype 3 in Dec. 2002. I was diagnosed with HIV in 1989. The very last time I had sex was in 1987 and it was very safe. Before that, I did have unsafe sex in 1984. So from 1984 till 2002, could I have had a latent Hep. C from the unfae sex I had in 1984? My feeling is that I got it thru all the bloods I have to take every two months to monitor my HIV. How safe is the getting of blood from labs (I used Quest lab but you can erase this if necessary)to monitor HIV disease? Have any studies been done on the transmission of Hepatitis in any form from reputable labs taking regular bloods? Thanks. Steve Gambino

Response from Dr. McGovern

No, I would stress that hepatitis C is not spread by having your blood drawn.

Dr. McGovern

I was cleared of Hep C. Is it still latent in me & can i pass it on?
Alcohol affects on the liver

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint