I was cleared of Hep C. Is it still latent in me & can i pass it on?

i was diagnosed with Hep C about 2 yrs. ago. My doc. was even confused as to why that test was done since he hadn't checked it off on the form for blood labs. I am of course also hiv+. Fortunately I had Type 3, unusual, i was told, for americans. First i want to know why type C is unusual for americans. Second, and more important ("importantly" is incorrect english, as is english with a small e), i cannot figure out how i got it unless i got it thru unclean needles used to take my bloods for the past 13 or 15 yrs. I was told that getting Hep C type 3 thru sex was impossible or very extremely unlikely. I would like to know if one can get Hep. C, type 3 in this country thru sex because I never shot up with needles. In short, my questions are how could one get Hep. C and if, as in my case, it was cleared in one month cause i had a great team of doctors and assistants, do i still have the virus in me and can i transmit it to others thru sex or kissing even though i am clear of it? I was diagnosed with HIV in 1989 and had not had sex since 1986 to today, 2004.Thanks, doc. steve g.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

However you got HIV is probably how you got HCV. Genotype does not really matter in transmission. It is easier to treat however! HCV unlike HIV or HBV does not integrate into the genome so that when you are cured, you are really cured! You can however, get it again. So be careful! Sexual transmission of HCV is not very efficient, however it is a sexually transmitted disease in gay men. Stay safe! DTD

ALT and LDH elevated
Can Hep C be gotten thru taking reputable blood labs monitoring my HIV stuff?