ALT and LDH elevated

Dr. Dieterich, Thanks for this forum.

I have been HIV poz for 2 years, normal CD4's and low to undetectable VL usually. Occasionally, very elevated Lymps. (3,800 range, then drop to 2,200 range and back up, every few months).

My ALT is 66 (range is 10 to 40) and LDH slightly elevated. But, Bilirubin and Alk Phos. are very low normal...is it safe for me to take 500mg of acetaminophen most mornings for bad headaches? Hep B and C antibody tests have been negative as was a Quantitative PCR test for Hep C (I went with your advice in an answer to someone some months ago to avoid a QL PCR).

I'd appreciate your advice: could I have liver damage based on the high ALT and highish LDH? Is Tylenol unsafe for me? And, is there any significance to very low normal Alkaline Phos and Bilirubin?

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Two tylenol per day should not be a problem. You may have some fatty liver disease. If you are overweight, that could do it. If you are taking protease inhibitors that could do it too. Ask your MD to check a fasting insulin level with a fasting glucose. If elevated that could be a sign of NASH or non alcoholic steato hepatitis. Good luck! DTD

My test (Hepatitis B)
I was cleared of Hep C. Is it still latent in me & can i pass it on?