The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question about different types of HBVDNA testing
Jun 19, 2004

Hi Dr.-

This may be a good question. One that I've been trying to figure out. When a doctor tests your HBVDNA, it seems that there are many different types of tests. Some say <30,000 copies/ML means you are Non-Detectable while others say <100 copies/UL are Non-Detectable.

So, do we have better tests out now that are more sensitive? If so, would someone with 122 copies/UL need treatment since it did show up in a test thats lower limit is 160 copies/ML?

After thinking about it I came to a conclusion that 193 copies/ML is actually very good. I've had other types of test at the same time through a drug company where it was Non-Detectable.

What do you think?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Testing for Hepatitis B virus levels has become very complicated because there are many different tests with different abilities to detect virus. Some are very sensitive and can detect extremely low levels of virus; others are less sensitive. However, the meaning of a very low viral load, like yours, is uncertain.

To also complicate the issue, hepatitis B virus levels can fluctuate over time in the same person.

Based on our current knowledge, tests with less sensitivity are ample enough to detect hepatitis B virus since the implications of finding very low levels of virus are uncertain. On a less sensitive assay, your hepatitis B would probably be undetectable again - as you were in the past.

Dr. McGovern

Please Answer this one: Hep C and no hope!!
Mate, i need help!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint