Navel Piercing HIV and HVC

About a month ago i got my navel pierced..the man used a clean needle ...taper and autoclaved the clamp...he also used this other tool..that i didn't seen come out of a bag to help with the barbell process...what are the chances of contracting HIV or Hepatitis from a body piercing...if something was exposed to me would my piercing be healing normally? I called them and they said they are 100% sterile...i have been crying myself to sleep every night praying and hoping I am ok...how soon can i get tested for these two things ...when are the antibodies capable of appearing...please help..I feel in my heart that this is the biggest mistake i have ever made!

The risk for hepatitis C is mainly through exposure to blood as in injection drug use. The concern related to body piercing is only if it is done in a non-sterile manner. If you are still concerned, you can get tested for hepatitis C antibody alone simply to know your status. Or you can get tested with HCV RNA and HCV antibody but this would have to be discussed your physician since the RNA test is expensive and it appears that your risk is extremely low.

Sleep well.

Dr. McGovern

interferon treatment and pregnancy
Please Answer this one: Hep C and no hope!!