interferon treatment and pregnancy

I am starting my interferon therapy next week and my doctor made it absolutely clear that under NO circumstances can I conceive during my year long hep c treatment.

When I asked him how long I should wait after treatment before I can have another child, he told me at least 6-8 months. He also stated that there has been NO studies proving it safe to conceive even after waiting years to conceive. Is this true? Has there been any studies on woman having children after interferon treatment?

I do want another child eventually. He advised me to possibly have the child before I start treatment, but I am not ready to have a baby for at least a few years yet. If I do wait 5 or 6 years to undergo treatment am I compromising my own health?

Will the Hep c get worse over time? I'm sorry I do not know my genotype. Although he did say that it was the most common type in the U.S. and would intale a year long treatment with interferon and ribo. Please help with any advise you may have.

Thank you

The routine recommendation for hepatitis C treatment is that birth control should be used for the 48 weeks of treatment and for 6 months after treatment has ended. The concern is actually related to ribavirin which can cause birth defects. It also stays in your bloodstream a long time. The six month waiting period is very conservative and there is no information that suggests that it is dangerous to get pregnant after that time.

Dr. McGovern

HBV carrier and HCC
Navel Piercing HIV and HVC