Elevated Liver Enzimes from Mono?

Hi; I was diagnosed with Hep B in 1996 and luckily recovered posting both the Core Antigen and Antibody in my blood. I just had a recurrence of extremely elevated liver enzimes and tested postive for Mono. I am also waiting for results for a precautionary Hep B Panel test. Can mono elevate my enzimes to 497 AST 1629 ALT and 2.9 Bilirubin, or do you suspect Hep B again? My skin is tremedously itchy from toxin release, how can I reduce the enzime levels and stop from going insane!

There can be many causes for elevated liver tests and your monospot is positive which is consistent with mononucleosis. Be very careful about using any acetominophen (ie Tylenol), non-steroidals (ie Motrin) and alcohol while your liver is inflammed. Also discuss with your physician any other medications you are taking including over-the counter drugs and herbal medications.

I suspect your hepatitis B blood tests will continue to show past infection only.

If you have any risks for hepatitis C, I would speak with your physician about checking for that too with a hepatitis C antibody and hepatitis C RNA. Ask your physician if you have been tested for hepatitis A also.

I hope you feel better soon. Dr. McGovern

Why is there a RIBA indeterminate ?
needlestick