Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

liver panel results
Jun 13, 2004

I just have a quick question. I have been experincing so weird symptoms the last 7-8 months. I will get chills in my bones and extreme bowel trouble and bloating. I had Hep A as a child and rembembered that it was like the flu but that was only acute. My concern is that I may have acquired Hep B. I am safe sexually, and have only engaged in genital stimulation with a woman outside of a commited relationship. My doctor has given me two liver panel tests within 3 weeks of eachother and everything is normal ast/alt plus did an x-ray. She seems to think it is IBS and stress related. I have noticed mucus in my stool, which I know is a IBS symptom. I have read though that a liver panel is not an absolute test. So my main question is if I were experiencing symptoms and it was hep B would my liver panel show that? And also does the IBS diagnosis sound reasonable? Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you symptoms were related to acute hepatitis B, your liver function tests would be abnormal by now so I don't think you should worry about this any longer.

I am not an expert gastroenterologist, so I am not qualified to comment on IBS.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Help withTest Results
Next
cord blood hepatitis core antibody positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.