Hep C and Hep A co-infection

I tested positive for Hep C one year ago and was diagnosed with Graves' disease a few weeks later. I have not yet started treatment for the Hep C because of the Graves' disease, and I have to wait to be released by my endochronologist before starting treatment. In the intermin, should and can I get vaccinated against Hep A, or is co-infection concerning Hep A and Hep C not that big of a deal. Thanks.

Keith Summers New Orleans, La.

Your question is an excellent one. Yes I would certainly ask to be vaccinated for both hepatitis A and B if you have never been exposed to either one of these viruses. Once you have underlying chronic Hepatitis C, it is important to protect your liver from any other injury - particularly since these illness are so easy to prevent with easy to take vaccines. Dr. McGovern

Follow Up (Need Help with Lab Results Posted: May 21, 2004)
Help withTest Results