Follow Up (Need Help with Lab Results Posted: May 21, 2004)

Hello Dr. McGovern,

Thank you so much for the quick response to my question. I just have a quick follow up question(s) for you.

I don't remember having a Hepatitis B vaccination and if I did it would have been like 15 years ago. Plus, before this encounter, I was married to one person for 13 years (right after college).

My question is, should I be concerned with surface antibody showing a weakly positive? Or should I just stay happy that my hepatitis B surface antigen is negative?

Do, I need to retest at any point or is testing at 9 weeks after exposure ok? This was a one time exposure because I am back together with my wife(Thank God! I can believe being single again in this day and age).

Again, thank you for your help and please let me know what charity I can make a donation to for your help!

T

Even if you had the vaccine 15 years ago, you could still have a weakly positive surface antibody.

The average incubation period for hepatitis B is 90 days although it can be longer. If I remember your case correctly, you did not have information that your prior partner was definitely a chronic carrier of hepatitis B.

And yes - the bottom line is that you should be completely reassured that the surface antigen is negative. I would not pursue any further testing at this point and I suspect you will do very well.

Re: YOUR OPINION PLS - - RARE CASE? Brand & Dosage question...
Hep C and Hep A co-infection