The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow Up (Need Help with Lab Results Posted: May 21, 2004)
Jun 13, 2004

Hello Dr. McGovern,

Thank you so much for the quick response to my question. I just have a quick follow up question(s) for you.

I don't remember having a Hepatitis B vaccination and if I did it would have been like 15 years ago. Plus, before this encounter, I was married to one person for 13 years (right after college).

My question is, should I be concerned with surface antibody showing a weakly positive? Or should I just stay happy that my hepatitis B surface antigen is negative?

Do, I need to retest at any point or is testing at 9 weeks after exposure ok? This was a one time exposure because I am back together with my wife(Thank God! I can believe being single again in this day and age).

Again, thank you for your help and please let me know what charity I can make a donation to for your help!


Response from Dr. McGovern

Even if you had the vaccine 15 years ago, you could still have a weakly positive surface antibody.

The average incubation period for hepatitis B is 90 days although it can be longer. If I remember your case correctly, you did not have information that your prior partner was definitely a chronic carrier of hepatitis B.

And yes - the bottom line is that you should be completely reassured that the surface antigen is negative. I would not pursue any further testing at this point and I suspect you will do very well.

Re: YOUR OPINION PLS - - RARE CASE? Brand & Dosage question...
Hep C and Hep A co-infection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint