HCV outside of blood?

Hi Dr. McGovern,

Just a couple of quick questions. I was wondering if HCV could live outside of blood. Because I was looking at info on HCV at one of the answers on this site says that the virus can still be infectious even if you don't see any visible blood, does that mean you can just touch a dry surface that was washed just washed away or had some blood that the naked eye couldn't see and get this or does it mean that blood that's hidden in a syringe? I have added the link to that answer for you.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Hepatitis/Archive/HepCtest/Q25273.html

Also how long does the virus live outside the body? I hear from 30 min to hours, to a day to a month and is it as infectious all that time?

Thanks for your time, Dr.

Doing research

I think the main message here is that sometimes you may not see blood (like a small speck of blood on a razor for example). However, this small bit of blood could still have virus in it. If you use a razor which has a small spot of blood with virus and then nick yourself while shaving, there is a possibility of transmission of hepatitis C even though that little speck of blood was not easily visible to your eye. Dr. McGovern

antibodies and immunocompetence
Re: YOUR OPINION PLS - - RARE CASE? Brand & Dosage question...