worried about initial HCV test

Dr. Dieterich,

I recently tested positive for antibodies in regards to HVC. Non-IV user, limited sexual activity, and I have tattoos, but none since 2000.

I am worried about how I transmitted (potentially) HCV. Can HCV incubate over years or rapidly? My liver enzymes were slightly elevated and recently went back into normal range.

I have several physicians in my family and most agree it's due to the tattoos. Is that possible or reliable. Thanks for your input!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Most likely,tatoos are your risk factor. You need to get a PCR and a genotype to confirm your diagnosis. Does not really matter how you got it. I don't care how my patients got it and if they don't want to tell me, I don't ask. It does not matter!. What matters is what you are going to do about it now!. Get vaccinated for hep A and B and get treated for your Hep C. DTD

Can I catch hepatitis C from a co-worker?
Can hep c be cured?