Dr. Dieterich: Maintenance Therapy Question

Hello Doctor Dieterich,

You are a great asset to all of us here.

You have mentioned to me before that since my dad has fibrosis III, maintenance therapy might be warranted (after my dad has failed in both combos, pegintron first and pegasys, being the second. You have recommended 90mcg!

My question is can we go ahead with the pegasys maintennace or are you recommending pegintron. I just thought since my father is overseas and has 3 months worth supplies of pegasys, then he can go ahead and take it. But you mentioned in your answer "peg" I think my dad's VL dropped with the pegintron but his liver enzymes were high and his liver enzymes were normal with the pegsys but still had a relatively high vl.

Thanks you so much doctor. Hope i will not have to bother you again soon.

Your response was:"The severity of the biopsy indicates that we should consider maintenance treatment with half dose. I would stop the ribavirin and drop the dose of peg to 90 mcg per week"

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Yes the maintenance dose of Pegasys is 90 mcg. The maintenance dose of PegIntron is .5 to 1.0 mcg/kg. Wish him luck, he should use the medication he has. DTD

Scared of injections
"Crazy Question"