Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Dieterich: Maintenance Therapy Question
Jun 11, 2004

Hello Doctor Dieterich,

You are a great asset to all of us here.

You have mentioned to me before that since my dad has fibrosis III, maintenance therapy might be warranted (after my dad has failed in both combos, pegintron first and pegasys, being the second. You have recommended 90mcg!

My question is can we go ahead with the pegasys maintennace or are you recommending pegintron. I just thought since my father is overseas and has 3 months worth supplies of pegasys, then he can go ahead and take it. But you mentioned in your answer "peg" I think my dad's VL dropped with the pegintron but his liver enzymes were high and his liver enzymes were normal with the pegsys but still had a relatively high vl.

Thanks you so much doctor. Hope i will not have to bother you again soon.

Your response was:"The severity of the biopsy indicates that we should consider maintenance treatment with half dose. I would stop the ribavirin and drop the dose of peg to 90 mcg per week"

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Yes the maintenance dose of Pegasys is 90 mcg. The maintenance dose of PegIntron is .5 to 1.0 mcg/kg. Wish him luck, he should use the medication he has. DTD

Previous
Scared of injections
Next
"Crazy Question"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.