Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load Less than 6000
Jun 7, 2004

Hi,

Please tell me whether this is positive news. My father got infected with Hep C last year because of a blood transfusion. His viral load level was 100000. He started on Pegasys and Copegus and after 3 injections his blood sample was sent for genotyping. Now the person at the lab says that his genotyp cannot be determined because his viral load has become less than 6000. Is this a sign that treatment is working? Also the doctor has recommeneded that his treatment be put on hold for a few days because of low platelet count. Is this standard?

Thanks,

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes this is very good news.

It appears that your father's viral load went from 100,000 to some low number after only 3 injections. Usually physicians check for hepatitis C viral load after 12 weeks of treatment to see if there is a significant drop but your father has accomplished that in a very short time.

I suspect that your father's viral load may be <6,000 since genotyping can usually be performed on this type of sample. Genotyping is important and is used to gauge how long to treat the patient. For genotype 2 or 3, the duration of treatment is 6 months. For genotype 1 treatment is 48 weeks.

It is standard sometimes to hold treatment for a "low" platelet count. For platelet counts <50,000 treatment with pegasys is decreased to 90 micrograms per week. For platelet counts less than 25,000, treatment is stopped.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
am i hv hep B
Next
HEP C + antibody screening and worried...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.