On treatment worried about hep C

I recently started treament for hiv with a cd4 count of 12 and vl of 37000 all my liver funtions where normal but back in 1997 I was diagnoised with hep c I did the double treatment of interferon and the other one which is ribavirin after 3 months I went undetectable and have been that way since for 7 years now I go back every year and get my liver checked! my ? is can the hep c come back now and shouldnt the doctor back in 1997 have tested me for hiv then before starting that treatment? Im presently taking viread emtrive and sutiva been on them for two weeks and I am feeling real good is this a good sign? thank you very much for you guys and this web site it gave me hope when I needed it the most again thank you!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Yes. Testing for HIV should be done before anyone is treated for HCV. They are spread in the same ways. Now the good news. If you are cured, then you are really cured! Have your HIV doc check your HCV RNA once a year, but it sounds like it is a cure. Now you also could have gotten the HIV after the HCV, too. Glad you are feeling well, keep it up! DTD

Norvir and Methadone
what should i do