HCV and lactic acid

I have had HCV since a transfusion in the mid-80's at the age of 12. I did not realize I had the disease until the age of 27 (chronic HCV, I believe type 1 or 1a, pretty resistant to the HCV drugs). I did Interferon for 11.5 months (thyroid levels went low) and the HCV did not go away but liver levels were normal range for 8 months (thyroid back to normal).

The liver levels have increased and the HCV RNA has increased as well over the last 3 years with no other treatment. I exercise 3 to 4 times/week and have no symptoms of HCV, but I have noticed recently tightness in calf and leg muscles. Other muscles appear fine

Could there be a problem with the liver processing lactic acid or a lactic acid build up that is causing this muscle tightness?? Any advice? Should I consult a gastroenterologist? Thanks for your help!!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Yes! See a liver specialist! While the liver metabolises lactic acid, it has to be really compromised for levels to build up. However you should consider a liver biopsy at least if not treatment. The new pegylated interferons can cure over 40% of genotype 1 infections. Go for it! DTD

Rhogam and Hepatitis C
precore mutant