Hepatitis A (Reactive)

I recently had some bloodwork done due to elevated liver panel numbers. The tests included a Hepatitis panel. The results showed Hepatitis A Total AB - Reactive (Abn:A) "Normal Range" = N/R, "Status" = Final. What does this mean?

Thank You

Jim

This blood result means that you have been exposed to hepatitis A in the past. However, I cannot tell you whether it was in the recent past or distant past without another blood test called "hepatitis A Ig M". If the IgM portion is positive, it means that you were exposed recently. I would suspect that your provider did not order this blood test because there was not a high suspicion that you recently got infected. Often this test is performed to see if someone needs vaccination. Since your test is positive, you do not need immunization.

Hepatitis A does not cause chronic disease so that is the good news. I would not expect prior hepatitis A to account for abnormal liver tests unless this infection just occurred. Dr. McGovern

Co-infection, HIV and HBV
Could I be a carrier?