Acute Hepatitis B

Hello.

My husband was diagnosed with Acute Hepatitis B, and was told that this was contracted fairly recent since we caught it so soon.

I/we subsequently was tested for Hep B (and HIV). I also mentioned I had been immunized for Hep B some time ago. The results explained that I did have Hep B antibodies (and my HIV test was negative) ... with no further explanation.

Does this mean that I now have this acute Hep B, and how does one contract Acute Hepatitis B?

Please help.

Th

The reason your physician tested your blood was to see if you had formed protective antibodies against hepatitis B since you were vaccinated in the past. I would assume, since you did not receive any further preventive treatment against hepatitis B, ie. immunoglobulin, that your hepatitis B surface antibody was positive.

You can ask for your testing results from the office. If the only postive test on the hepatitis B panel is the hepatitis B surface antibody, then this is consistent with someone who was vaccinated in the past and is protected against hepatitis B.

If this is not the case then let us know and we will advise further.

Finally, hepatitis B is transmitted from exposure to blood or body fluids usually by unprotected sexual intercourse or through injection drug use. Dr. McGovern

Active liver disease???
Co-infection, HIV and HBV