Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis B
May 16, 2004

Hi Dr,

I got some blood work done regarding Hepatitis B within the last 2 months. Can you please explain what my results mean....

Hep B Surface AG-Negative

Hep B Core AB Total-Positive

Hep B Core AB IGM- Positive

Hep B Surface AB HBSAB, QT-Negative (also has a <1)

Hepatitis Be Ag-Negative

Hepatitis Be AB-Positive

AFP-2.6

Hep B DNA, Quantitative PCR-

Hep B Viral DNA- <100 (Ref. is less than 100IU/ml)

Hep B Viral DNA- <160 (Reference is less than 160copies/ml)

The only other things that came out high on my Hep. panel is AST 57 and ALT 56.

Can high AST and ALT tests have anything to do with me having gallstones or being overweight? I wrote you one time before and you mentioned to me I need more tests which are the HBV DNA which as you see I had done.

Can you please tell me what you think the blood test might mean? I am scheduled for an ultra sound in a couple of weeks. Do you think my high LFTs have anything to do with Hep. B?

Thank you so much for your time.

P.S. My doctor says I dont have Hep. B but I did have it sometime in the past but Im ok now and that my high LFTs are from something else. I just want your opinion too. I have been led astray by so many opinions on my condition.

Help me PLEASE!!

Response from Dr. McGovern

Hepatitis B testing results can be quite confusing. The most striking component of your testing shows that your Hep B core antibody is positive with an "Ig M" response. This would suggest that you had hepatitis B relatively recently. However the good news is that most people clear hepatitis B on their own. It appears that this is happening for you also since there is no detectable virus in your blood (ie. your DNA is not detectable) and the surface antigen is also not detectable.

I am sure that with your next visit your physician will be testing your panel again. It is important to have repeat testing over time to determine that you are truly clearing your infection. Your hepatitis Be antibody will probably become negative and you will develop protective antibodies to hepatitis B (when your hep B surface antibody becomes positive). You should also discuss with your physician your possible risk factor for hepatitis B and whether that has put you at risk for any other infection, like hepatitis C or HIV. Also you should ask if you should be vaccinated for hepatitis A.

Your low level abnormality of liver function tests may also resolve in the near future. This will need further follow-up since there are so many potential causes for abnormal liver function tests.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Sexual transmission of HCV
Next
Husband hiv+/hcv +

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.