Hepatitis B

Hi Dr,

I got some blood work done regarding Hepatitis B within the last 2 months. Can you please explain what my results mean....

Hep B Surface AG-Negative

Hep B Core AB Total-Positive

Hep B Core AB IGM- Positive

Hep B Surface AB HBSAB, QT-Negative (also has a <1)

Hepatitis Be Ag-Negative

Hepatitis Be AB-Positive

AFP-2.6

Hep B DNA, Quantitative PCR-

Hep B Viral DNA- <100 (Ref. is less than 100IU/ml)

Hep B Viral DNA- <160 (Reference is less than 160copies/ml)

The only other things that came out high on my Hep. panel is AST 57 and ALT 56.

Can high AST and ALT tests have anything to do with me having gallstones or being overweight? I wrote you one time before and you mentioned to me I need more tests which are the HBV DNA which as you see I had done.

Can you please tell me what you think the blood test might mean? I am scheduled for an ultra sound in a couple of weeks. Do you think my high LFTs have anything to do with Hep. B?

Thank you so much for your time.

P.S. My doctor says I dont have Hep. B but I did have it sometime in the past but Im ok now and that my high LFTs are from something else. I just want your opinion too. I have been led astray by so many opinions on my condition.

Help me PLEASE!!

Hepatitis B testing results can be quite confusing. The most striking component of your testing shows that your Hep B core antibody is positive with an "Ig M" response. This would suggest that you had hepatitis B relatively recently. However the good news is that most people clear hepatitis B on their own. It appears that this is happening for you also since there is no detectable virus in your blood (ie. your DNA is not detectable) and the surface antigen is also not detectable.

I am sure that with your next visit your physician will be testing your panel again. It is important to have repeat testing over time to determine that you are truly clearing your infection. Your hepatitis Be antibody will probably become negative and you will develop protective antibodies to hepatitis B (when your hep B surface antibody becomes positive). You should also discuss with your physician your possible risk factor for hepatitis B and whether that has put you at risk for any other infection, like hepatitis C or HIV. Also you should ask if you should be vaccinated for hepatitis A.

Your low level abnormality of liver function tests may also resolve in the near future. This will need further follow-up since there are so many potential causes for abnormal liver function tests.

Dr. McGovern

Sexual transmission of HCV
Husband hiv+/hcv +