For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Obesity & HCV Treatment

Hello Dr.,

I am a morbidly obese woman who found out I was HCV+ during my pursuit of weight loss surgery. I finally had an ajustable gastric band placed a few months ago and would like to begin treatment for the HCV. My liver doctor is really negative about my starting treatment because of my weight.

My doctor though said it is my choice so I opted for treatment and will start Peg-Intron within the month. My BMI has dropped from 54 to 44, I am still losing and have changed all of my eating habits ten fold. Do you think I should wait or start treatment? Will my weight affect the treatment and make it not work?

Thank you for your time,

Dear J: Congratulations on your excellent weight loss. It is your first step towards making your liver healthier since it has been shown that fat in the liver can actually worsen scarring.

Your physician gives you good advice. Your body is undergoing huge changes right now. I think I would wait until things stabilize. I say this for two reasons: 1) It is not urgent to start the treatment this month specifically

2)There are several studies suggesting that treatment is more effective in patients with lower body weights. You may actually improve your chance of treatment success if you start the treatment after you lose more weight.

Most imortantly, keep losing weight and keep it off. Best of luck to you. Dr. McGovern

Maa'm a non hep question,from india please help!!
Sexual transmission of HCV