The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

May 11, 2004

Hi I just started to date a guy & I found out that his X girlfriends husband had hepatitis. He has passed but from a drug overdose so they say. The guy I am dateing said that his x girlfriend was tested 3 times. All 3 came back neg. And that he never has been tested. But he said he will get tested for me to ease my mind. Can I get this by kissing? Sex? and once he has the test & it comes back neg. Is it possible that it may have not shown up? Does he have to be tested every year? I know nothing about this. What do they do as far as a test goes? Is it just blood work? And can they also test for AIDS or is that a whole dif. test? Please help me in anyway you can. Thank you so much!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You bring up a lot of good issues. Hepatitis B is a clearly sexually transmitted disease. Hepatitis C is less well transmitted through sexual contact, not kissing. Before any intimate relationship you should both go to the doctor get tested for HIV, Hepatitis A, B and C, all blood tests. If you are negative for antibodies to A and B you should both be vaccinated. If anyone is positive for HCV antibody, then you need to have the PCR virus test. The bloods should also be tested for syphilis which is making a comeback. However that does not protect you from chlamydia or gonorrhea, so you still should be using condoms, at least for a while. Good luck and stay safe! DTD

Please help HBV patient
Fundraiser at a biker bar! Ahhh...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint