Doctor Not Treating HCV, only HIV

My husband is HIV, Hep C pos and has had Hep B but cleared his system. His HIV doc is not pursuing treatment for HCV. His VL is undetectable, Tcells around 360, not sure liver counts, platelet count stays around 50,000-80,000. Not much info out there on HCV and HIV coinfection that I can find. What little I have found indicates that he is not being treated for Hep C due to his t-cell count being below 400 and not able to biopsy liver. Any more information you can provide would be most helpful. My inlaws don't understand and just keep complaining about his doctor, but they don't make any effort to educate themselves. I am negative on all counts by the way. We have been married 14 years and known of his illnesses since 1999. Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is a big problem with many HIV treaters. His low platelets may indicate cirrhosis which may be more deadly than HIV. There is every reason to treat HCV now in HIV + patients. Later in May 2004 the New England Journal will have two articles on successful treatment of HCV in HIV patients. This is standard of care now and established practice and your husband's HIV doc needs to understand that. You should take him to a liver specialist who knows about HIV as well. Good luck! Good question! DTD

Urgent! Precore mutant results....
THIRD TRY!! VERY CONFUSED... PLEASE HELP!!!