For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Serum Ferritin

Dear Dr. Dieterich,

I was on Pegintron with Ribavirin treatment last year but did not respond after 6 months. Recently I learned that my Serum Ferritin was very high during treatment and it could dramatically affect the results. It was 364 ng/ml when I started the treatment. Now it jumped to 588 ng/ml. I have two questions in this regard.

1. Is it necessary to do anything to reduce my current Ferritin levels? 2. Should I retry the Pegintron with Ribavirin treatment with iron depletion therapy?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

That is not a high ferritin level. It is common in HCV. I would suggest you try switching brands to peg alfa 2a or Pegasys this time and make sure you take enough ribavirin. It can respond the next time.

Good luck! DTD

please post.