|HIV and Hep B correlation?
Apr 28, 2004
I have read where people with HepB are more suseptible to get HIV. Is this due to the fact they may have a decreased immune system or is it due to the fact they may partake in riskier behaviors?
Also, if it is due to a decreased immune system, would the same be true for an inactive carrier?
| Response from Dr. Dieterich
It is because of shared risk factors. HBV and HIV are both basically sexually transmitted diseases. HBV does not affect the immune system, however I am becoming increasingly convinced that HCV may indeed affect the immune system. DTD
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Percentage Of Women Have Hpv?
- What Kind Of Doctor Does A Guy Need To Go To For Genital Warts?
- What Kind Of Blood Test Do You Use For Herpes?
- What Are The Odds Of Contracting Genital Herpes After Sleeping With Someone Who Has It But Not An Outbreak?
- Risks Of Unprotected Sex With Inactive Herpes
- Syphilis Chancre Sores And Tea Tree Oil
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.