Factors

Hello Dr. DTD.

I hope that you are back to help the forum.

What factors that would predict the reactivation of an inactive HBV? I am an inactive carrier and I don't know when I got infected but possibly in the childhood (I'm an Asian male and now 34). I don't know that being on healthy diet and daily exercise can help to prevent the reactivation. And at what age the risk of HCC increases? Any suggesitions to prevent these? Also, is less than 10 beers a year and spicy food OK for a patient like me? Thank you very much

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Yes I am back! A funny thing happened to me last weekend at Customs at JFK airport. The inspector was getting ready to pass me through and he said"Wait a minute are you that Dr. Dieterich from The Body on the internet?" I said yes and he proceeded to chastise me for not answering any questions since March 31! He also told me his HCV story, to the consternation of the people in line behind me! I guess I am really back! Thanks for the opportunity to answer your questions! Now to the HBV question. The usual predictors for relapse or recurrence are things that suppress your immune system, like chemotherapy for cancer or AIDS. Some people just relapse, without a reason, so the best test is to do the HBV DNA. Spicy food and 10 beers a year are not risks, enjoy yourself and stay well! DTD

diabetes and hep c
Pegasys for hep b?