diabetes and hep c

my diabetic son was dignoased with hep c when he started kidney dializes last week, I am taking care of hime and I have a six year old living with me, what are our risk of getting this. He has not had sex in two years, how could he have caught this?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Does not really matter does it? However the major risks for HCV are intravenous or intranasal drug use, transfusion and lately and lastly sex. It can take years to make the diagnosis. The main point is not how he got it, but what should be done about it. He should see a liver doctor and figure out what to do. You and the six year old are at no real risk, it really needs to be spread through blood exposure. Wish him luck! DTD

Dr Dieterich
Factors