Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wondering if you can help?
Mar 30, 2004

Dr. Dieterich,

I have asked this question on the Safe Sex forum, have yet to recieve an answer. I understand you may not be an expert in all the things I mention, but could you give me your opinion? Thank you.

I was tested on Jan 13 for HIV-1, HTLV I/II, HCV, HBV, and syphilis. All the results were negative. I was also tested for herpes (via blood test) on December 4 of last year and was negative, and my last pap smear (also taken on Jan 13) was negative.

My question is this: After these potential exposures (below), are my tests results good for the time given? I'm very worried about having given something to my ex (not being factored in as one of the exposures), who never was all that concerned in the first place.

July 31, 2003 - went swimming with guy of unknown status. he scarped his chin, i had small cut my hand. About 30 min-1 hr later i grabbed his head to stop him from doing something, unsure if cuts touched.

August 22, 2003 - same guy, fooled around, kissed. touched his penis. can't remember if i touched myself with same hand or under my panties. thought i didn't, but started worrying, and now cant' remember.

September 20, 2003 -Blood on toilet seat at my mom's house. Could be mine, but don't know. Worried that my tissue touched it before i wiped.

Dec. 2, 2003 - hairdresser cut her finger w/scissors used on my hair. she looked at finger, said, "are you gonna bleed" and then went to get band-aid, so maybe no blood on scissors. just concerned b/c she kept hitting my ear with comb. don't think it came out of barbicide. worried about her blood or prev. customers' blood.

So.... my doctor says the hairdresser incident isn't even a concern, and believes that my tests thus far are good and I need no more. I just worry that I tested too soon, or that I need to be tested for HIV-2 as well. I don't know who the pool guy has been with, but i know at least he's been w/someone from Japan (not sure what's prevalent there...?). Please someone answer my questions? Can I stop worrying about this stuff, or do I need to worry that I infected my ex with something. Thanks so much for your time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Stop worrying! You are fine! Enjoy like and carry a condom! DTD

Previous
high liver levels/latic acidosis/hep c
Next
Dr. Dieterich

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.